We spend too much time on our hand knits to throw them away when they get a hole. Join Holli Yeoh for a three-hour, hands-on repair class. You'll learn Swiss darning, stocking darning and how to use a knitted patch to repair a hole. The techniques are transferrable to commercially made garments, as well.
Holli will demonstrate how to use decorative embroidery as a repair strategy as well as needle felting to repair small holes. A small mending kit will be provided to participants.
Skill Level: Suitable for beginners and beyond.
Cost: $90 plus taxes and materials (see below)
Dates & Time:
Saturday, April 7th, 1pm to 4pm
Please bring the following items to class:
- If you have one, bring a swatch from a completed project in stockinette stitch on smooth yarn (so you can see the stitches) that you are comfortable cutting
- OR, If you'd like to make one, you could work up a 5 inch square swatch in a smooth yarn, preferably wool. Work in stockinette stitch with a moss or garter stitch border.
- Some small amounts of yarn for repairs in the same weight as your swatch but not in the same colour. For this class, you want to be able to see your fixes!
- Knit items (hand or commercial knits) with holes or thin spots for a discussion on strategies for fixing them
- Two double pointed needles in a size appropriate for the weight of yarn/swatch
- Crochet hook approximate size of knitting needles
- Basic knitter’s toolkit
Students receive a 10% discount on class materials when purchased in-store.
- Registration and payment of fees must be completed two days prior to the start date in order to secure a seat.
- Payment can be made online, or in store.
- A minimum number of students is required for each class. We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule the class if the minimum is not met.
- Cancellations must be made 72 hours prior to the start of the class; your original receipt is required in order to receive a full refund.
- Please purchase all materials in advance of the first class unless otherwise noted.